Victims of horror house fire that killed three people including girl, four, and woman, 30, in Northamptonshire village are named

A four-year-old girl, her mother and a man who all died in a tragic house fire have been named.

Emma Conn, 30, her daughter Mayci Fox, four, – both from Desborough – died in the fire along with Louie Thorn, 23, at the historic property in the village of Rushton, near Kettering.

Emergency services were called to the fire at the Grade II-listed former station master’s house in Northamptonshire at around 10.30pm on Friday. 

A 54-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder but he was released from custody with police saying they don’t believe there is any evidence of ‘criminal wrongdoing’.

Rev. Andy Giles, who led prayers for the family during a Mothering Sunday service, told of how the close-knit community are ‘extremely shocked and saddened’ by Friday night’s tragedy.

The house remains cordoned off, with photos showing a gaping hole at the top of the house where the roof caved in.

A ladder leaning against the wall to a top bedroom window can also be glimpsed.

Shocking images show a large hole burned through the roof of the 19th-century building

Shocking images show a large hole burned through the roof of the 19th-century building

Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service were still damping down the blaze throughout Saturday, after arriving on Friday night with pumps from across the county

Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service were still damping down the blaze throughout Saturday, after arriving on Friday night with pumps from across the county

Tributes have poured in on social media, with locals ‘sending big hugs’ to the families of the victims.

One family member posted a tribute to Mr Thorn, saying ‘forever 23’.

‘I can’t believe I’m writing this. Life is so cruel. You are the kindest soul ever to walk this earth. I wish I could have one more chat or hug with you.’ 

The salon where Ms Conn worked posted to cancel all of her appointments, thanking her customers for their understanding. 

The vicar of All Saints Church In Rushton said yesterday: ‘We were praying for the family at our service this morning.

‘It is a close knit community, Rushton and the neighbouring parishes and this has affected many people.

‘They are extremely shocked and saddened. Our prayers and thoughts are with the family and friends.’

He said the church would stay open Sunday afternoon for ‘people to come together to pray and reflect.’

He said it was even ‘more poignant’ as it was Mother’s Day.

The Rev. Giles said that the family had been ‘doing up the house for several years.’

Shocked neighbours have told of their ‘horror’ after learning of the triple deaths.

The residential property was previously derelict but had recently been completely renovated

The residential property was previously derelict but had recently been completely renovated

Emergency services were called to the blaze at a historic Grade II-listed former station master's house in the village of Rushton, near Kettering, at around 10.30pm on Friday

Emergency services were called to the blaze at a historic Grade II-listed former station master’s house in the village of Rushton, near Kettering, at around 10.30pm on Friday 

One resident told how the inferno which engulfed the historic Grade-II listed property was ‘so ferocious’ that rescuers trying to free the trapped occupants were ‘kept back’ and three police officers helping fire crews were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

She said that mystery blaze had ‘devastated’ the community and some locals knew the family.

Barbara, a mother who declined to be fully named, said: ‘It is total shock and horror here. Some of us could see the flames sweeping up around the huge house.

‘It was a complete inferno and I can only imagine impossible to escape from.

‘We had hoped and prayed no one was at home, and it was very distressing to find out that three people had lost their lives.

‘Our hearts go out to the families. It is a traumatic event to happen on our village, it is horrible.

‘I heard one or two children may be among the fatalities but it hasn’t been confirmed.

‘Residents who saw the flames were trying to get in before the emergency services arrived but were kept back by the ferocity of the fire. It is very distressing.’

The victims have not yet been named by police.

Emergency services raced to the blaze at renovated Station House in Beswick Close at about 10.30pm on Friday.

The property is next to the rail line and affected train services to London St Pancras on Saturday.

The three victims of the horror village blaze on Friday evening were a four-year-old girl, a 30-year-old woman and a 23-year-old man

The three victims of the horror village blaze on Friday evening were a four-year-old girl, a 30-year-old woman and a 23-year-old man 

Specialist fire investigators and investigation dogs were sent to support police investigations into the cause of the flames

Specialist fire investigators and investigation dogs were sent to support police investigations into the cause of the flames

Mike Brightman, vice chairman of Rushton Parish Council, said: ‘It’s a very sad day for the village, losing some of our residents in such a horrific way.

He said: ‘As a parish council our support goes out the families affected.’

He told how the Glendon and Rushton 19th century ex railway station and master’s house – Grade II listed since 1981 – had been left derelict for many years and had been renovated and ‘done up into a very nice family home.’

Another resident said: ‘What’s happened is absolutely shocking. People were trying to forces their way in to help anyway maybe trapped.

‘There were emergency services everywhere – police, fire and ambulance.

‘The blaze was so severe and powerful that even a few of the police officers were injured – not burned, luckily, but they inhaled smoke.’

The man added: ‘It is very sad and the whole village is in shock.’

A worker at the local pub, The Thornhill Arms, said: ‘The village is distraught. People are absolutely traumatised.’

Northamptonshire Police and Northampton Fire and Rescue Service launched an investigation to determine how the blaze started, and it if was accidental or may have involved foul play.

Chief Inspector Paul Cash, who leads on local policing in the Kettering area, said previously: ‘On Friday evening, the emergency services were called to a devastating fire on Station Road, Rushton that has tragically resulted in the deaths of three people.

‘We believe them to be a four-year-old girl, a 30-year-old woman and a 23-year-old man.

‘On behalf of everyone involved with responding to this fire, I would like to express our deepest and heartfelt condolences to the family, friends and loved ones of those who died.’

He said a ‘thorough investigation’ is underway, in collaboration with Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service, ‘to find the answers that their loved ones need and deserve’.

Chief Inspector Paul Cash said emergency services were working in 'very difficult and dangerous conditions to safely and respectfully recover those who have died, and enable formal identification'

Chief Inspector Paul Cash said emergency services were working in ‘very difficult and dangerous conditions to safely and respectfully recover those who have died, and enable formal identification’ 

Aerial view of the historic former station house in Beswick Close, Rushton

Aerial view of the historic former station house in Beswick Close, Rushton

The families involved are being kept updated through their family liaison officers, he explained: ‘Our thoughts will remain with all of them at this incredibly difficult time.’

He added: ‘Although the emergency services are well trained and prepared for challenging situations, a job like this is still incredibly difficult for us all.

‘Those who responded to this call-out on Friday night, both emergency services and local residents, did all they could to try and help, and I would like to highlight their incredibly brave and selfless efforts.

‘I know how hard it was for everyone involved that they could not do more and I know their thoughts are with everyone affected.’

He thanked the community in Rushton for their ‘support and patience’ while investigations continue.

Source link

Related Posts

No Content Available