Israel has accused Mayor of London Sadiq Khan of spouting ‘Hamas propaganda’ during his video message celebrating Eid.
He said in a video posted on March 30 to mark the Islamic celebration of Eid al-Fitr and the end of the holy month of Ramadan: ‘More than 50,000 Palestinians have been killed as a result of Israel’s ongoing military campaign, including more than 15,000 children.’
The London Mayor added: ‘These betrayals of humanity should weigh heavily on our collective conscience.
‘But I’m proud that, while the international community has chosen to avert its gaze, Londoners have not.’
But the Israeli embassy in London criticised Khan for not condemning Hamas and failing to mention the hostages still held by the terror group.
In a statement to The Telegraph, a spokesperson for the embassy said: ‘Firstly, we would like to emphasise to Mr Khan that the war is a result of the brutal and horrific attack by Hamas, a proscribed terror organisation in the UK, which was imposed on Israel on Oct 7.
‘It is alarming that, throughout the message, there is no mention of Hamas or any condemnation of terrorism and a call for the release of 59 hostages that are being held in horrific and inhumane conditions’, they added.
The Mayor’s office told the newspaper in response: ‘The Mayor has repeatedly conveyed his outrage at attacks by Hamas on Israel and has strongly condemned these acts of terrorism.

Israel has accused Mayor of London Sadiq Khan (pictured) of spouting ‘Hamas propaganda’ (pictured last month)

Palestinians, including women and children, scramble to collect food during a distribution by the charity organization in the Jabalia Refugee Camp in northern Gaza City, Gaza on April 3, 2025
‘He is deeply saddened by the loss of all lives, and continues to support calls for a permanent ceasefire.’
MailOnline has contacted the Mayor of London’s office for comment.
The embassy’s scolding comes after Israeli airstrikes killed at least 100 Palestinians across the Gaza Strip on Thursday, including 27 or more sheltering at a school in the north, according to Palestinian medical authorities, in a stepped-up offensive that Israel’s military said is intended to put new pressure on Hamas and eventually expel the militant group.
The bodies of 14 children and five women were recovered from the school in the Tuffah neighborhood of Gaza City and the death toll could rise because some of the 70 wounded sustained critical injuries, said Health Ministry spokesman Zaher al-Wahidi.
More than 30 other Gaza residents were killed in strikes on homes in the nearby neighborhood of Shijaiyah, he said, citing records at Ahli Hospital.
The Israeli military said it struck a ‘Hamas command and control center’ in the Gaza City area, and said it took steps to lessen harm to civilians. Israel gave the same reason – striking Hamas militants in a ‘command and control center’ – for attacking a United Nations building used as a shelter a day earlier, killing at least 17 people.
Hamas condemned the strike on the school, calling it a ‘ heinous massacre’ of innocent civilians.
The strikes came as Israel’s military ordered more residents in parts of northern Gaza to move west and south to shelters, warning that it planned to ‘work with extreme force in your area.’

Internally displaced Palestinians walk along a street near the rubble of destroyed buidlings after fleeing northern Gaza following an Israeli army evacuation order

Behind a tent camp for displaced Palestinians, smoke rises from a building after it was targeted by an Israeli army strike in Gaza City

Journalist Mohammed Saleh al-Bardawil, his wife and children were killed in an attack on a residential area on April 1
A number of the Palestinians leaving the targeted areas did so on foot, with some carrying their belongings on their backs and others using donkey carts.
‘My wife and I have been walking for three hours covering only one kilometer,’ said Mohammad Ermana, 72. The couple, clasping hands, each walked with a cane. ‘I’m searching for shelters every hour now, not every day,’ he said.
Israel has issued sweeping evacuation orders for parts of northern Gaza ahead of expected ground operations.
The United Nations humanitarian office said around 280,000 Palestinians have been displaced since Israel ended the ceasefire with Hamas last month.