RUSSELL Brand has broken his silence after being charged with rape and sexual assault over a seven-year period.
Detectives began investigating after receiving a number of allegations in September 2023.
It followed reporting by Channel 4‘s Dispatches and The Sunday Times.
In a video posted to X he denied the alleged crimes.
The comedian and actor, 49, has been charged with one count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault.
The Metropolitan Police said the charges relate to four separate women between 1999 and 2005.
Brand has previously denied the accusations, and said all his sexual relationships were “absolutely always consensual”.
He is charged with the rape of a woman in 1999 in the Bournemouth area and the oral rape and sexual assault of a woman in 2004 in the Westminster area of London.
He has also been charged with indecently assaulting a woman in 2001 and sexually assaulting another woman between 2004 and 2005 – both offences are alleged to have taken place in Westminster, London.
Brand will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on May 2.
Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy said: “The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers.
“The Met’s investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police.
“A dedicated team of investigators is available via email at CIT@met.police.uk.
“Support is also available by contacting the independent charity, Rape Crisis at 24/7 Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Line.”
Jaswant Narwal, of the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “We have today authorised the Metropolitan Police to charge Russell Brand with a number of sexual offences.
“We carefully reviewed the evidence after a police investigation into allegations made following the broadcast of a Channel 4 documentary in September 2023.
“We have concluded that Russell Brand should be charged with offences including rape, sexual assault and indecent assault.
“These relate to reported non-recent offences between 1999 and 2005, involving four women.
“He will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court for a first hearing on Friday May 2, 2025.
“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds everyone that criminal proceedings are active, and the defendant has the right to a fair trial.
“It is extremely important that there be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”
Brand was briefly married to pop star Katy Perry between 2010 and 2012.
He hosted shows on radio and television, wrote memoirs charting his battles with drugs and alcohol and appeared in several Hollywood movies.
In recent years, Brand has largely disappeared from mainstream media but has built up a large following online with videos mixing wellness and conspiracy theories.
He recently said he had moved to the United States.