Ministers have scrapped a Tory-initiated review into the ‘woke culture’ in the Armed Forces, despite claims that diversity policies have contributed to a serious shortage of trained officers.
Grant Shapps, who commissioned the review last year when he was defence secretary, condemned Labour for blocking moves to ‘stop woke ideology from seeping into our Armed Forces like rust weakening steel’.
Last month, the Daily Mail revealed that diversity-hiring practices had contributed to a 30 per cent shortfall in pilots at the ranks of flight lieutenant and squadron leader in the RAF, after an attempt to discriminate against white male applicants backfired.
Candidates who had been overlooked in these attempts to prioritise the recruitment of women and ethnic minorities are now being urged to reapply for training as the RAF frantically tries to fill cockpits with combat-ready crew.
But Labour’s defence minister Alistair Carns has admitted in a parliamentary answer that staffing on the review into equality, diversity and inclusion policies in the Armed Forces had been ‘paused’.
When launching the review, Mr Shapps said ‘the drumbeat of those who despise Britain, her proud history and the culture of her great people, is failing the Armed Services and the British public’.
Last night he said: ‘Sadly, this proves what we feared – this government is drawn to indulging in social engineering rather than ensuring our forces are battle-ready.
‘Scrapping this review betrays the integrity of our Armed Forces by sidelining the only criterion that should ever matter – excellence.’

Former defence secretary Grant Shapps, who commissioned the review last year, condemned Labour for blocking moves to ‘stop woke ideology from seeping into our Armed Forces like rust weakening steel’

Last month, the Daily Mail revealed that diversity-hiring practices had contributed to a 30 per cent shortfall in pilots at the ranks of flight lieutenant and squadron leader in the RAF , after an attempt to discriminate against white male applicants backfired. Pictured: Alistair Carns, Labour’s Minister of Veterans and People, speaks to Army personnel in October last year

Candidates who had been overlooked in these attempts to prioritise the recruitment of women and ethnic minorities are now being urged to reapply for training as the RAF frantically tries to fill cockpits with combat-ready crew. Pictured: Alistair Carns speaks with cadets during a STEM challenge, on October 29, 2024
Tory defence spokesman James Cartlidge said: ‘These rules have led to pilot shortages, and we were taking action to stop them.
He added: ‘It is shocking, but not surprising, that this isn’t a priority for a government that rejected our plan for higher defence spending last July because it would have meant cutting the civil service and upsetting their union paymasters.’
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: ‘We want the broadest talent and skills in our Armed Forces and we are committed to recruiting and retaining the best talent, whatever their background.’