CREW members on board the deadly Sindbad tourist submarine have been questioned by Egyptian officials over the Red Sea disaster.
Six people died on Thursday as another 39 were miraculously rescued after the submarine sank off the city of Hurghada.
Nine people have been injured with four said to be in a critical condition, according to the Red Sea governor.
A couple, both doctors, were among the victims with their daughters still in hospital, authorities said.
Two children were also tragically pronounced dead, Russian media reported.
The crew are now beginning to be questioned as many unanswered questions remain over how the submarine suddenly started to sink.
Governor Amr Hanafy confirmed yesterday the submarine had a valid licence and the crew had all obtained the correct certificates.
A large group of sightseers had been on board the vessel at the time of it sinking.
The Sindbad had been in operation as a tourist submarine for a number of years.
Survivor Elena Boldareva said the white-hulled vessel’s hatches were open when it dived at the start of the £68 ride to view a coral reef 70 feet below the waves.
The Russian survivor – who escaped the horror with her husband – said: “Some managed to swim out, some didn’t”.
Her daughters and mother were taken to the hospital in a serious condition as authorities quizzed the sunken craft’s Egyptian operators yesterday.
The first victims were initially named yesterday as a Russian doctor couple, anaesthetist Ravil Valiullin, 40, and his wife Kristina, 39, a children’s medic.
But Kristina was later confirmed by Russian authorities to have survived.
She had reportedly been reunited in the hospital with her survivor daughters aged 10 and 15.
Ravil worked at the Urussu Central Regional Hospital in Russia‘s central region called Tatarstan.
The Sindbad submarine was carrying 45 tourists as it made a 40-minute journey to view a reef.
Most of the tourists were Russians, but there were also some from India, Norway and Sweden, officials said. There were also five Egyptians on board.
The passengers were clients of the Biblio Globus company staying at Hurghada’s Sindbad Hotel, which owns the sub and operates the undersea adventure trips.
Twenty-nine were pulled from the shark-infested waters, but nine were injured, including four who have been left fighting for their lives in a critical condition.
Survivors have been taken back to their hotels while the injured have been taken to the hospital.
The Russian embassy in Cairo confirmed the accident involved its nationals.
A statement said: “On March 27, at about 10:00, the Sindbad bathyscaphe, owned by the hotel of the same name, crashed 1km off the shore.
“In addition to the crew, there were 45 tourists on board, including minors. All of them are Russian citizens.
“Most of those on board were rescued and taken to their hotels and hospitals in Hurghada.”