Channel small boat migrants poised to top 30,000 since Labour came to power, as Tories accuse PM Sir Keir Starmer of ‘betraying the British public’

The number of Channel small boat migrants to have reached Britain since Labour came to power is on the cusp of topping 30,000.

There were scores of arrivals in Dover this morning after UK Border Force vessels intercepted dinghies in the middle of the English Channel.

Official Home Office figures show that up to yesterday there had been 29,884 arrivals since the General Election on July 4 last year.

Observers said today’s arrivals numbered just over 150, which would push Labour’s total past the landmark of 30,000. 

The number of crossings in the equivalent period from July 2023 to April 2024 – when the Tories were still in power – was 23,439.

It means Labour has overseen a 28 per cent leap in arrivals. 

One of Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer‘s first acts in office was scrapping the ConservativesRwanda asylum scheme, which had been designed to deter migrants from crossing the Channel in the first place.

A group of migrants are brought into the port of Dover today aboard UK Border Force catamaran BF Typhoon

A group of migrants are brought into the port of Dover today aboard UK Border Force catamaran BF Typhoon

Shadow Home Secretary Chris Philp said: ‘Keir Starmer has betrayed the British public by losing control of our borders.

‘His pledge to “smash the gangs” lies in tatters.

‘He cancelled the Rwanda deterrent before it even started, with no plan in place, and now illegal immigrants are flooding into the country.’

Mr Philp added: ‘Starmer needs to develop a backbone and immediately implement a removals deterrent.

A group of at least 20 migrants were seen bring brought into Dover after being intercepted on a small boat by Border Force officers today

A group of at least 20 migrants were seen bring brought into Dover after being intercepted on a small boat by Border Force officers today

‘It’s the only way we can stop these boats.

‘This total loss of border control is catastrophic for our country.

Home Secretary Yvette Cooper, right, is shown a surveillance video of people smuggling gangs during a visit to Le Touquet, France, in February

Home Secretary Yvette Cooper, right, is shown a surveillance video of people smuggling gangs during a visit to Le Touquet, France, in February

‘Starmer should hang his head in shame.’ 

UK Border Force vessels brought scores of people to the port of Dover this morning aboard its catamarans BF Typhoon and BF Hurricane.

It came after a week-long hiatus which saw no arrivals due to 30mph gusts in the Channel. 

After cancelling the Rwanda programme the Government has placed an emphasis on law enforcement measures against the human trafficking gangs.

Home Secretary Yvette Cooper has also dedicated more resources to removing foreign nationals who do not have the right to be in the UK, including foreign national offenders.

The scane in Dover port today as Border Force officers bring a group of small boat migrants ashore, with today's arrivals pushing the total to have reached the UK since Labour came to power past a landmark 30,000

The scane in Dover port today as Border Force officers bring a group of small boat migrants ashore, with today’s arrivals pushing the total to have reached the UK since Labour came to power past a landmark 30,000

Since the start of this year 6,642 migrants have reached Britain by small boat, not including today’s unconfirmed number.

It is 22 per cent higher than the 5,435 who came here in the same period last year.

Shadow Home Secretary Chris Philp today accused PM Sir Keir Starmer of 'betraying the British people'

Shadow Home Secretary Chris Philp today accused PM Sir Keir Starmer of ‘betraying the British people’

Official data published in February showed asylum claims have surged under Labour to hit more than 108,000 last year – the highest number since records began in 1979.

The biggest increase came in the second half of 2024 – following the general election – when more than 61,383 asylum bids were lodged, compared with 50,352 during the same period in 2023.

The annual total – an 18 per cent year-on-year rise – smashed the previous record set during the early 2000s asylum crisis by five per cent.

Asylum claims are made not just by new arrivals but also by foreign nationals who may have been in Britain for years.

The Home Office was approached for comment. 

Source link

Related Posts

No Content Available